Blog regular Tony Talbot’s latest book, Eight Mile Island, was released recently and to support its launch, we have a special author interview with Tony today, to help you learn a little bit more about him and his writing!
1. You have invented an operational time machine, where would you go?
I’d go back into the past…maybe 17th century Vienna, and see a Mozart or Beethoven symphony performed for the first time.
2. If you could invite any five people to dinner who would you choose?
Oscar Wilde, Winston Churchill, John Lennon, Ernest Shackleton and Ada Lovelace. I realise I have four men and one woman in that list!
3. You are stranded on a desert island; what three things would you want to have with you?
The Idiots guide to surviving on a desert island
A satellite phone with 4G Internet
4. What is one book everyone should read?
Ooo…tricky. To Kill a Mockingbird.
5. If you could have any superpower what would you choose?
Flight, every time. Imagine the time I’d save at the airport.
6. What is your favourite flavor of ice cream?
7. If you could meet one person who has died who would you choose?
There’s an Antarctic explorer I’m fascinated with, Apsley Cherry-Garrard. I’d love to pick his brains about Antarctica.
8. What is your favourite thing to eat for breakfast?
9. Night owl, or early bird?
Neither! Mid morning from 11:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon.
10. Pet Peeves?
Driving while on the phone.
11. Do you have any other books in development at the moment? What are your goals for future projects?
I started the first chapter of book five about the same time as I was finally wrapping up Eight Mile Island. I’d love to do a trilogy one day, but new ideas always pop into my head and I’m off on to something new.
12. Tell us your most rewarding experience since being published.
I had a reviewer for my first book – Over the Mountain – say it made them cry…since it is a very sad and serious book, mission accomplished.
13. What’s your favourite season/weather?
I love autumn. The colours are just amazing, and there’s more of a sense that a day with good weather is something you should get outside and enjoy.
14. If you could jump inside the pages of a book, and live in that world.. which would it be?
It would have to be the Harry Potter universe. Wouldn’t a tour of Hogwarts or Diagon Alley be something else?
15. What was your favourite book when you were a child?
I loved Bedknob and Broomstick by Mary Norton. I read it and re-read it time and time again, and it’s one of the reasons I love reading and writing. It soaked into me.
16. Can you see yourself in any of your characters?
All of them have parts of me, and all of them have attributes I wish I had…more bravery, more street smarts. I have to say most of them are smarter than I am!
17. Can you write a Haiku about your book?
very creepy location
from which there is no escape
visit eight mile island
18. What is your favourite quote from a movie?
“Now….bring me that horizon.” Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
You can enter to win your very own copy of Eight Mile Island for Kindle / PDF in our giveaway!
Welcome to Eight Mile Island.
Want to know more? Check out the links!